The port of Newhaven was built by King James IV to build the Royal Fleet, and later transferred to the City of Edinburgh in 1510.
Newhaven was known as the premier oyster port in Scotland from 1572 until about 1890, when they became scarce due to overworking. Herring was the main-stay from the late 18th Century, and Newhaven became the fish-market for Edinburgh in the late 19th Century.
Copyright 2013 -17 www.edinburghtrams.info
All rights reserved.
All photographic images and text are Copyright Chris O'Brien. Moral right are asserted