Leith Walk follows an almost straight line of a former gravel path running along the top of an old earthworks erected as a defence against Cromwell's invasion in 1650.It runs from Calton Hill to Leith. It then became a walk to Leith above the surrounding marshy ground.
Leith Walk only became a major route after the erection of North Bridge in 1769. It is formed by many terraces on eith side, for example Elm Row, Haddington Place, etc.
The new tram stop for Constitution Street - This street is built on what was Constitution Hill, a name given to it when feelings were roused for the preservation of the British constitution when the movement for Catholic emancipation culminated in the Gordon Riots.
First Generation tram at the foot of Leith Walk. The location of the new stop is the road at the top right where the tram is heading.
Copyright 2013 -17 www.edinburghtrams.info
All rights reserved.
All photographic images and text are Copyright Chris O'Brien. Moral right are asserted