The Second Generation Fleet Numbers 251 to 277
The first delivery was 252 on 27th April 2010 which was put on public display on track in Princes Street then stored in West Lothian until the Depot could receive cars arriving 1 day after 277.
The trams were built by CAF in Spain and with 1 exception were delivered over a 15 month period but not in any particular order.
First delivery to Gogar Depot 277 delivered 17th October 2011.
235 at Lauriston Place
Enthusiasts speculated about the numbers which would be allocated to the new fleet of 27 cars – would they be 371 - 397 or 412 – 438 or just plain 1 - 27? In the event the Management always intending that the trams would be managed as an integrated service with Lothian Buses and numbered the cars within an existing gap in the bus fleet 251 – 277 thus there could be no confusion of a bus or tram carrying the same fleet number.
Thanks and acknowledgement to George P Murray for this article and information.
We are grateful to David Forman who has identified and supplied the locations for the first generation tram images.
Top Clifton Terrace Haymarket
Lower Left Constitution Street at Queen Charlotte Street
Lower Right Buckstone Road near Frogston Road
Right Newhaven Road opposite Trinity Primary School
Top Left Crossing George Street whilst travelling on Frederick Street
Lower Left Brandon Street Cannonmills
Top Right Granton Square
Lower Right Colinton Road with Redford Barracks on right
Left Earl Grey Street Tollcross
Right Princes Street
Left Corstorphine Road outside the Zoo
Right Trinity Crescent at Lower Granton Road - with Tram Pinch
271 approaching Murrayfield Stadium stop 2015
Can anyone assist with a photograph of 271?
Top Left Comiston Road near Morningside Drive 1953
Lower Left Colinton at Rustic Cottages 1953
Top Right Gilmore Place at Tram Pinch
Lower Right Turning from Grange Road into Marchmont Road
Can any one advise location?
Left The Tilt Tester was located in Shrubhill Depot
Right Comely Bank terminus
Top Left Comely Bank Road by Flora Stevenson Primary School
Lower Left Princes Street
Right Home Street Tollcross. The line into the Tollcross depotcan be seen on the left
276 near Haymarket stop 2015
Can anyone help with a photograph of 276?
Top Left Seafield Road at Kings Road 1953
Lower Left Glasgow Road just past Clermiston Hill
Right unknown location
Top Left Duke Street Leith
Lower Left Lothian Road near to the Usher Hall
Right Ferry Road near house number 258
The original Edinburgh electric fleet was numbered latterly (after 1935) as follows:
1 – 10 Works Cars
11 – 370 Passenger Cars (in the early 1932 car 371 was renumbered 266)
401 – 411 ex Manchester Corporation “Pilcher” or “Pulman” cars (purchased second hand between 1947 – 49)
The First Generation Fleet Numbers 251 to 277
251 - 259 Wooden cars by R Y Pickering of Wishaw 1932
260 All steel car Metro-Cammell 1933
261 One off flush sided wooden car ECT Shrubhill 1933
262 & 263 Streamliner by English Electric 1934
264 Wooden car by ECT Shrubhill 1931
265 same as 260
266 Wooden car by ECT Shrubhill 1930 was numbered 371 for a short time and had experimental trucks and equipment when new
267 same as 262 & 263
268 Wooden car by ECT Shrubhill 1929
269 Domed roof Shrubhill Standard by ECT 1935
Last Tram at the Mound with the Castle from 1956.
Copyright 2013 -17 www.edinburghtrams.info
All rights reserved.
All photographic images and text are Copyright Chris O'Brien. Moral right are asserted