The Second Generation Fleet Numbers 251 to 277
The first delivery was 252 on 27th April 2010 which was put on public display on track in Princes Street then stored in West Lothian until the Depot could receive cars arriving 1 day after 277.
The trams were built by CAF in Spain and with 1 exception were delivered over a 15 month period but not in any particular order.
First delivery to Gogar Depot 277 delivered 17th October 2011.
Enthusiasts speculated about the numbers which would be allocated to the new fleet of 27 cars – would they be 371 - 397 or 412 – 438 or just plain 1 - 27? In the event the Management always intending that the trams would be managed as an integrated service with Lothian Buses and numbered the cars within an existing gap in the bus fleet 251 – 277 thus there could be no confusion of a bus or tram carrying the same fleet number.
Thanks and acknowledgement to George P Murray for this article and information.
We are grateful to David Forman who has identified and supplied the locations for the first generation tram images.
Left Colinton Road
Right Princes Street near Frederick Street
Top Left Pilrig Street at Leith Walk
Lower Left Morningside Road at Holy Corner
Right ? Which Depot ?
Top At Haymarket. The entrance for Haymarket Railway Station can be seen in the background
Lower Left Pilrig Street at Dryden Street
Lower Right ?
Top Left Newhaven Road at Ferry Road
Lower Left Corstorphine Road outside the entrance to the Zoo
Top Right Leith Walk 1955.Old tram depot on the left and Millars is still in existence today May 2016
Top Left Linkfield Road Levenhall Musselburgh
Lower Left Turning off Lower Granton Road about to enter Granton Square
Right Bernard Street Leith looking back to Newhaven
Top Left Leaving Broughton Street crossingYork Place, when it used to pass the front of St Marys, before the buildings on left were demolished and the roundabout built.
Top Right 1953 & Lower Right : Near to Haymarket at Grosvenor Street
Top Left Seafield Road near Seafield Street
Lower Left Entrance and exit from Depot on Leith Walk
Top Right Turning off Clerk Street into Hope Park Terrace
Lower Right Haymarket at Grosvenor Street
The original Edinburgh electric fleet was numbered latterly (after 1935) as follows:
1 – 10 Works Cars
11 – 370 Passenger Cars (in the early 1932 car 371 was renumbered 266)
401 – 411 ex Manchester Corporation “Pilcher” or “Pulman” cars (purchased second hand between 1947 – 49)
The First Generation Fleet Numbers 251 to 277
251 - 259 Wooden cars by R Y Pickering of Wishaw 1932
260 All steel car Metro-Cammell 1933
261 One off flush sided wooden car ECT Shrubhill 1933
262 & 263 Streamliner by English Electric 1934
264 Wooden car by ECT Shrubhill 1931
265 same as 260
266 Wooden car by ECT Shrubhill 1930 was numbered 371 for a short time and had experimental trucks and equipment when new
267 same as 262 & 263
268 Wooden car by ECT Shrubhill 1929
269 Domed roof Shrubhill Standard by ECT 1935
270 – 277 Wooden cars by Leeds Forge of Bristol 1923 new for post cable electrification.
Copyright 2013 -17 www.edinburghtrams.info
All rights reserved.
All photographic images and text are Copyright Chris O'Brien. Moral right are asserted