The Second Generation Fleet Numbers 251 to 277
The first delivery was 252 on 27th April 2010 which was put on public display on track in Princes Street then stored in West Lothian until the Depot could receive cars arriving 1 day after 277.
The trams were built by CAF in Spain and with 1 exception were delivered over a 15 month period but not in any particular order.
First delivery to Gogar Depot 277 delivered 17th October 2011.
Enthusiasts speculated about the numbers which would be allocated to the new fleet of 27 cars – would they be 371 - 397 or 412 – 438 or just plain 1 - 27? In the event the Management always intending that the trams would be managed as an integrated service with Lothian Buses and numbered the cars within an existing gap in the bus fleet 251 – 277 thus there could be no confusion of a bus or tram carrying the same fleet number.
Number 253 in Shandwick Place
Thanks and acknowledgement to George P Murray for this article and information.
We are grateful to David Forman who has identified and supplied the locations for the first generation tram images.
Top Right Lothian Road
Top Left Entering Shrubhill Depot from Dryden Street
Lower Left Shrubhill Depot Dryden Street
Lower Right Comiston Road at Comiston Spring Avenue. Braidburn Valley is in the background.
Top Left Claremont Park with the gates for Seafield Cemetery in the background
Lower Left Granton Square outside HMS Claverhouse
Right Comiston Road at Comiston Spring Avenue
Top Left Inside Leith Depot
Lower Left Shandwick Place with scaffolding on St George West Church
Top Right Antigua Street at Gayfield Place (near top of Leith Walk)
Lower Right Seafield Road near Fillyside Road
Left Earl Grey Street, Tollcross outside Central Hall and near to Tollcross Depot
Right Princes Street
Top Left Princes Street
Lower Left Granton Sqaure
Top Right Leith Walk
Lower Right Comiston Road near to house number 18, and the junction with Riselaw Road
Top Left Tollcross looking towards Bruntsfield
Lower Left Commercial Street by Citadel Place. Behind the tram is one of the entrances to the Docks and also the Highland Queen Whisky Bond
Top Right Tollcross entering Earl Grey Street
Lower Right Minto Street at East Mayfield
Left Ferry Road at Newhaven Road
Right Outside Newington Railway Station at Craigmillar Park
Top Left Shandwick Place at Coates Crescent headingtowards Princes Street. The tram is situated where the second generation stop for West End Princes Street is located
Lower Left Linkfield Road near Beulah Musselburgh
Top Right Ferry Road at its junction with Newhaven Road
Lower Right Craigmillar Park at Newington Railway Station
Top Left Outside Theatre Royal on Broughton Street, near St Mary's Cathedral
Lower Left Colinton Road at Meggetland Terrace. At the back on the right is the entrance to Craiglockhart Station.
Top Right (Orientation to be changed - sorry if you have a sore neck, Mary) Location unknown
Lower Right Minto Street and East Mayfield
Right Buckston Terrace outside the water works (now a housing estate) at the Fairmilehead terminus
Left Comiston Road near to Riselaw Road
Top Left Strathearn Place looking towards Church Hill
Lower Left Lindsay Road at Leith North Station
Right The Bridges near to High Street / Royal Mile. Outside Patrick Thompson shop which was known to locals as "PTs"
Top Left East End of Princes Street. A bus can be seen in the background turning up on to the Bridges. The GPO is the building at the back
Lower Left Exiting Claremount Park turning into Seafield Road
Top Right Ferry Road near Warriston Road
Lower Right Foot of Leith Walk at the Railway Station 1955
Left The Bridges with Register House in the background
Right A view looking out from Leith Tram Depot. The building on the right is Inchkeith House on Leith Walk
Top Bernard Street in Leith. On the right of the image is a statue of Robert Burns
Lower Left Craigmillar Park at the change over points near to Newington Station
Lower Right Granton Square
Portobello High Street
The original Edinburgh electric fleet was numbered latterly (after 1935) as follows:
1 – 10 Works Cars
11 – 370 Passenger Cars (in the early 1932 car 371 was renumbered 266)
401 – 411 ex Manchester Corporation “Pilcher” or “Pulman” cars (purchased second hand between 1947 – 49)
The First Generation Fleet Numbers 251 to 277
251 - 259 Wooden cars by R Y Pickering of Wishaw 1932
260 All steel car Metro-Cammell 1933
261 One off flush sided wooden car ECT Shrubhill 1933
262 & 263 Streamliner by English Electric 1934
264 Wooden car by ECT Shrubhill 1931
265 same as 260
266 Wooden car by ECT Shrubhill 1930 was numbered 371 for a short time and had experimental trucks and equipment when new
267 same as 262 & 263
268 Wooden car by ECT Shrubhill 1929
269 Domed roof Shrubhill Standard by ECT 1935
270 – 277 Wooden cars by Leeds Forge of Bristol 1923 new for post cable electrification.
Copyright 2013 -17 www.edinburghtrams.info
All rights reserved.
All photographic images and text are Copyright Chris O'Brien. Moral right are asserted